INTRO

Introductions:
My Name is Matthew, and I am a soldier. I have an interesting view that I share from time to time with the folks I encounter as I walk the road. Some of those people have encouraged me to seek out ways to help others or simply share my views or ideas with more people. I will blog on many subjects, from things that piss me off on a daily basis to more important issues such as dealing with chronic depression and the struggles that ensue as a result. I will be taking bits and pieces from emails and rants that I have verbalized as well, so if you see something we have talked about please, smile and nod...Thanks for reading.

Friday, February 14, 2014

Zen and the art of finger food

          I know I put up some crazy topics. I know that sometimes my stuff is deep. This isn't one of those topics.

          I love to cook, anyone in my family that knows me knows I love to cook. So, here it is, my all time favorite finger foods and how to make them easy like.

Stuffed Jalepenos: You will need the following
12 or so Jalepenos                    1 or 2 chicken breasts               1 brick of creme cheese
Sriacha hot sauce                      shredded cheddar cheese          1 rack of baccon, cut in half

Start by cutting and pulling the seeds out of the jalepeno peppers. You may want to wear a glove if your hands are sensitive, and especially if you wear a ring, the skin under your ring can be very sensitive and the juices from the peppers WILL BURN YOU THERE.

Boil the chicken breasts till thuroughly cooked and then put into a food processor or shred with forks. Then let the meat cool. Mix the shredded chicken with the Sriacha, shredded cheddar, and creme cheese. You may want to add some other hot sauce, that's cool, there are no rules here. Just make sure that the mix is pasty and sticky.

Cut the baccon in half if you haven't already and stuff your pepper halfs with the cheese mix then wrap a piece of baccon around each pepper half. Bake those bad boys in the oven at 350 until the baccon is as crisp as you like it and enjoy ! They go great with a cool brew, I like an amber ale myself.

Chicken WINGS

There are hundreds of wing recipies out there, this is my fav and it's a snap!

Take a gallon sized zipper bag and put about 4 or 5 cups of flour into that thing. Add curry and poultry seasoning until the mix smells like folded pieces of heaven. Thaw out your wings and get two cookie sheets hot in the oven. Melt some butter in the bottom of each sheet. You want a thin layer of butter going. Mix some hot sauce into the butter, use the little red stuff we all know off the top of our head. Be careful, even if you don't set a fire, your fire alarm may go off if you put too much hot sauce into the butter. Fumes, that's all it takes to set those alarms off. Bread your wings and put them into the oven at 350 for half an hour. Then flip them and bake another half hour. Once your done, pull those suckers out and plate them. You may want to put some fresh parmasean cheese or some garlic butter on them at this point. You can even baste them with whatever sauce you want to now. Or just eat them crispy and crunchy like they are. ENJOY!

Rib bits
You know those little short ribs that come in racks 12 to 14 inches long ? They sell in the grocery for 3 or 4 bucks for a package with about 15 or 20 ribs? Yeah those little suckers.
Get a large stock pot and boil some beer. You should use what you drink. Boil those rib bits in the beer for a good 20 min or so. I know, it smells devine! Once the meat starts to peel off the bone take them out and shake off the excess beer. Toss them in a bowl filled with whatever sauce you want to sauce them with. Then throw the ribs onto a cookie sheet and bake them at 350 for about 20 min more. Trust me, TASTY !!

MORE ?! Okay check this one out.
Mix some egg in a bowl and cut some chicke into strips. In another bowl mix flour, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and curry.
In a big thick pan render the fat out of some particularly fatty baccon. You should have 1/8 in or so on the bottom of the pan. Egg, Flour, Fry. Simple right ? Rack them afterword or you will have soggy chicken fries.

Finger food + Beer = GREAT HOCKEY GAME EATS.
Root for your favorite team, as I will mine. GOOD LUCK, Thanks for reading,
 REVEAL THE TEAL AND GO SHARKS !!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like mighty fine recipes. My son is the cook in our family (along with hubby) and they like to experiment with things. Son has made stuffed jalepenos before but not with chicken in them; I'll have to share that with him. He did learn the hard way the first time he worked with jalepenos to make sure to wear gloves the next time.

    thanks for sharing!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I love to cook and for me it's beyond just feeding myself, it's a coping skill for me.

      Delete
  2. Hi Matt,

    Just caught up on all your recent blog posts. Lots of good stuff here! Keep it coming, you're doing great! Incidentally, I use gluten free flour on the wing recipe, and it turns out really good. Best of the weekend to you. I'll catch up with you again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you could make it work for you. I think that cooking gluten free is probably one of the tougher things for me to do. It seems like it would be simple but when you start to look just about EVERYTHING has gluten in it. Thanks for the comment

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, now my mouth is watering! These sound like such good recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find the time and patience to try some of the tasty tid bits I posted. I only put up the ones that I can do from memory and if I commit something to memory like that, it's tasty. Thank you for the comment

      Delete